College Access Corps Hardship Release Policy

What is a Hardship Release?

A hardship release is a release where the member has or will complete 1,700 hours of service before the CAC Program Graduation and needs to leave because of a hardship.  A hardship is defined as leaving the CAC program before their contracted end date and by leaving early they may lose part of their contracted living allowance because CNCS will not allow a living allowance being paid to members who are not serving.

If there is a “hardship” situation where a member needs to leave before the June 15ht but still wants to earn their full educational award, then, if the request for hardship leave is approved, then the member will need to complete the following:

  • NOTE: By leaving before June 16, 2017, you will lose some of your living allowance you were guaranteed in your contract because AmeriCorps cannot pay members who are not serving their community.  How much you may lose will be reviewed with you during your “hardship” request process.
  • Completes the College Access Corps Early Release Form.  The form must be signed by the member’s CAC Program Supervisor and have an attached email or letter detailing why the member is requesting to leave the program early (you may be asked to attach proof of new AmeriCorps program start date, letter from doctor, etc.)
  • Have completed 1,700 hours
  • Have approval of their CAC Program Supervisor, partnership school or non-profit, and the CAC Program Director or ORCC Program Manager for OR members.
  • Have all “6 folders” up to date and have completed their contribution to the final CAC Progress Report for your program as determined by their CAC Program Supervisor.
  • Have completed their CAC Sustainability manual and passed it in to their CAC Program Supervisor
  • Have their final time log approved in On-Corps and make sure the system shows they have at least 1,700 hours of supervisor approved service
  • Completed all CAC program exit paperwork – exit form and end of year evaluation form

What do I need to do to request a “hardship” release?

  1. Fill out the College Access Corps Early Release Form and attach a letter or an email detailing why you are requesting early release.
  2. Meet with your CAC Program Supervisor to talk about the request for “hardship” release and why you are requesting it.
  3. The CAC Program Supervisor will review what needs to be completed (most information is on the form) before a member can be released early. 
  4. If CAC Program Supervisor approves then they will sign the CAC Early Release Form and send the form to WACC/ORCC for approval.
  5. Once approved, the member completes all the requirements of their position as detailed on the CAC Early Release Form as well as from their CAC Program Supervisor and have 1,700 hours of service approved by your supervisor before the early release day.
  6. Members will not be exited out of CAC program until all requirements have been completed and the exit paperwork is received at WACC/ORCC.

If you have questions about this policy, please contact Jennifer Hine, Executive Director at or 360-650-7984 or for Oregon CAC members please contact Kaycie Lopez Jones at or 503-406-3572.